One of the buildings at the Picture Butte Tractor Museum contains some of the history of printing in this area. This should include information about the weekly newspapers that were printed in Picture Butte some seventy or more years ago. Thanks to Wendy Warren who has in her possession some issues of the two different Picture Butte weeklies. From those issues I have gleaned the following information:
A. “THE NORTHERN TIMES” was printed from May 2, 1940 to June 19, 1941. The publishers were J. Ross Anderson and David G. Wood. The assistant editor was Jean Blewett-Anderson and The staff assistant was Maureen Redd-Wood.
B. “THE PICTURE BUTTE PROGRESS” was printed from January 7, 1942 to October 10, 1947. The publisher and editor was H. Tilston Jones. The mechanical superintendent was G. W. Smith.
We are asking the readers of “The Sunny South News” to help us answer the following questions:
1. What were the arrangements of the change of publishers sometime between June 19, 1941 and January 7, 1942?
2. Are the present locations of the former publishers or their descendants known to anyone?
3. Did “The Northern Times” continue after June 19, 1941? And did “The Picture Butte Progress” continue after June 19, 1947?
4. Where were the offices of the paper located? Some hints a) in the Becker Block? or b) just west of the post office? or c) in the Jones bakery?
5. What kind of printing machines was used in those days? Did “The Picture Butte Progress” use a linotype machine?
6. Are there any of the door-to-door delivery people still in the community?
7. What memories does anyone have of The Melody Theatre? Koepkle’s Hall?
an outdoor skating rink? restaurants? grocery stores? hardwares? pharmacy? barbers? schools? Does anyone have a scrapbook or photographs or other memorabilia from the 1940’s that would add to this research paper?
8. Any other information?
If you can help this project in any way, please contact Jim George at 220-950- 14th Street, Lethbridge or phone 403-320-0714 or email jlandmary@ shaw.ca