Current Temperature


June 14, 2024 June 14, 2024

Thank you

Posted on September 2, 2014 by Sunny South News

Dear Editor:

It has been nine months since I broke my right femur and began to recover after three months.

I was hospitalized for one week at the CHR and returned back for another week on Dec. 30, 2013 — due to lack of coumadin from my orthopedic surgeon.

It was a long struggle to get back to becoming normal and I hope never to go through this ordeal again. However, God was on my side and allowed me to get ample rest, as I was over worked.

(Upon being released) the head nurse gave my wife Lydia instructions how to continue with medications and coumadin. Lydia was not only my caregiver but prepared all my meals — we woke up every morning at 6:30 a.m. and my breakfast was on the table. The service she provided was, “fit for a king.”

It was difficult to change from my old ways to make adjustments in regards to taking a shower. Grab bars had to be installed and a shower chair was borrowed from Red Cross, along with other equipment.

Our neighbour lady provided crutches and two canes, that her previous husband left behind. The health nurse provided help with home care, until I was well enough to do things on my own. I made two trips to the Coaldale lab twice a week, then once a week and finally once a month to draw blood.

I am indebted to our neighbours for shovelling snow on our sidewalks and driveway. They helped pick up equipment from Red Cross and drive Lydia to work and to the hospital to visit me every day.

In appreciation, Lydia invited our neighbours and church people for a lunch at Mings Restaurant in Coaldale. Finally, we appreciate the Sander family for driving Lydia back and forth to the CHR and for waiting at all hours of the night to check me in with EMS.

I am also indebted to Fr. Francis and to Sister Ivy and others. I appreciated the Thursday morning coffee people at St. Ambrose for visiting me and sending get well cards. I appreciated our church prayer group the day of my surgery.

Recently, I checked with my doctor and he took me off the warfarin medication and I gave up my cane in July and I am back working part-time.

Paul J.T. Jones,


Leave a Reply

Get More Sunny South News
Log In To Comment Latest Paper Subscribe